John Stuber was born in LaCrosse, WI. He graduated from Marquette University in Michigan, then came to Minnesota and worked for a St. Cloud newspaper. He entered the US Army Air Forces in 1941 and became a flight instructor. After the war, John helped his brother, Don, establish Flying Cloud Airport, reclaiming it from an asparagus field to an airport. The brothers lobbied to have the airport named Flying Cloud, inspired by the former Native American presence in that area of the Minnesota River Valley. John moved to New Orleans, where he sold autos. He then moved back to Bloomington, MN and became Vice-President and General Manager of Peavey Airmotive (Minnesota Airmotive), an FBO at Minneapolis International Airport catering to corporate aviation.
In 1968, John joined his brother once more to manage American Aviation at Flying Cloud Field, an avionics shop specializing in maintenance and installation of the new series of aircraft electronics systems. The brothers sold the business in 1989 and retired. As a reward for the brothers’ careers of work at, and promotion of Flying Cloud Airport, the FAA named the outer marker for the field’s runway 9R approach, STUBR.
John was a member of the MATA (Minnesota Aviation Trades Association) and received their Distinguished Service Award among many other honors during his days at Flying Cloud. The brothers were loved and respected in the aviation community and can be remembered by the users of Flying Cloud Airport as the field’s mentors.